For Immediate Release
July 6, 2016
The tally is in and the San Antonio Missions did not finish in the top eight national parks in the Vote Your Park national contest.
The San Antonio Missions National Historical Park was one of only 20 national parks to be selected for the Vote Your Park national campaign sponsored by the Partners in Preservation (PIP). The 20 parks competed for $2 million in grants designated for preservation projects at the sites. Winners were determined by popular vote, with the voting ending yesterday, on July 5th.
“We gave it a great community effort,” said Los Compadres Executive Director Susan Chandoha. “The Missions were up against some very stiff competition, major parks in the U.S. with great name recognition. It was great to be recognized in the early selection for the contest, and we had lots of support. We definitely want to say thank you to all our business, government and community friends for voting for us. And, would have had no chance at all if we had not received great assistance from the San Antonio media.”
The winners included:
1. Yellowstone Park Foundation, Yellowstone National Park
2. Friends of the Smokies, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
3. Grand Canyon Association, Grand Canyon National Park
4. Yosemite Conservancy, Yosemite National Park
5. Zion National Park Foundation, Zion National Park
6. Pacific Historic Parks, World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument
7. South Florida National Parks Trust, Everglades National Park
8. Alaska Geographic, Denali National Park
9. Washington's National Park Fund, Mount Rainier National Park (partial funding)
The campaign received more than 1.1 million votes, reflecting the broad level of support for these preservation projects across the country.
Congratulations to the winners!
Susan Chandoha / 210-922-3218 / Susan@loscompadres.org
John Boggess / 210-414-9753 / email@example.com
Missions of San Antonio ©2016 All Rights Reserved